A package is an XML document that defines one or more customization activities that are deployed together to enable a feature. By grouping related activities, you ensure that changes to one activity do not adversely affect other activities in the package. You also have a single location where you can modify all aspects of a feature.
A customization package has a
customErpPackage root element that wraps the child elements, as shown:
The child elements provide the content for the customization feature as follows:
packageDescriptionnames the package, identifies the author, and explains its purpose. This is the only required element.
customFieldswrap the individual
customFieldactivities. This is the first activity added to a package and often contains data that other activities will need.
smartLinkswrap the SmartLink Click, SmartLink Fetch, Smart Rule, and Smart Event activities. Although these activities serve different functions, they share many data commonalities—in XML terms, they fit under one schema definition.
customReportswrap the individual customReport activities.
Create a package
When creating a package, the easiest approach is to start with the XML package file template, then use the Sage Intacct UI to generate parts of the file. For example, you can export the definition of a Custom Report from a Wizard in the UI, then paste that definition (minus the XML declaration) into the correct place in the template file (below).
Package file template
- Understand that if a customization package is deleted in the Sage Intacct UI,
everythingin that package is deleted. For example, if you include a custom field in your package, and that custom field is used outside of the context of that package, then deleting the package from the UI will delete that custom field everywhere it resides.
- You can put more than one custom field, Smart Rule, Smart Event, Smartlink, or custom report in the appropriate section of the template.
- Be aware that when a custom report is installed as part of a package, it cannot be edited in the Sage Intacct UI. However, the report can be duplicated then edited.
- Remove any sections you do not use from the templates—they are not allowed.
- Each activity exported from the Sage Intacct UI includes the XML declaration at the top. Do not include the declaration when you cut and paste into the template.
- Even though you can export a custom list view, the importer does not implement custom list view imports.
- See the Sage Intacct product help for instructions on exporting various activities.
Sample package file
The following shows a sample package file that provides a custom field and a related custom report:
- There may be no white space (character spaces or line returns) before the XML declaration.
- All element attribute values must be in quotation marks (either single or double).
- Tags and Attributes are case sensitive; for example
<Col>are considered three different tags.
- An element must have both an opening and a closing tag, unless it is an empty element.
- If a tag is a standalone empty element, it must contain a closing slash before the end of the tag (
- All opening and closing tags must nest correctly without overlap.
- The document must have a single root element, which is a unique element that encloses the entire document. The root element may be used only once in the document.
- Learn about capabilities of Customization Services by walking through the creation of an API Smart Event with conditions.